Stainless Steel Coupling Gear Rigid Roller Chain Fluid Tyre Grid Jaw Spider HRC Nm Motor Flange Gear Pump Rubber Spline Shaft Flexible Universal Joint Coupling
Coupling refers to a device that connects 2 shafts or shafts and rotating parts, rotates together during the transmission of motion and power, and does not disengage under normal conditions. Sometimes it is also used as a safety device to prevent the connected parts from bearing excessive load, which plays the role of overload protection.
Couplings can be divided into rigid couplings and flexible couplings.
Rigid couplings do not have buffering property and the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes. It is required that the 2 axes be strictly aligned. However, such couplings are simple in structure, low in manufacturing cost, convenient in assembly and disassembly, and maintenance, which can ensure that the 2 axes are relatively neutral, have large transmission torque, and are widely used. Commonly used are flange coupling, sleeve coupling and jacket coupling.
Flexible coupling can also be divided into flexible coupling without elastic element and flexible coupling with elastic element. The former type only has the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes, but cannot cushion and reduce vibration. Common types include slider coupling, gear coupling, universal coupling and chain coupling; The latter type contains elastic elements. In addition to the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 axes, it also has the functions of buffering and vibration reduction. However, due to the strength of elastic elements, the transmitted torque is generally inferior to that of flexible couplings without elastic elements. Common types include elastic sleeve pin couplings, elastic pin couplings, quincunx couplings, tire type couplings, serpentine spring couplings, spring couplings, etc
1) Mobility. The movability of the coupling refers to the ability to compensate the relative displacement of 2 rotating components. Factors such as manufacturing and installation errors between connected components, temperature changes during operation and deformation under load all put CZPT requirements for mobility. The movable performance compensates or alleviates the additional load between shafts, bearings, couplings and other components caused by the relative displacement between rotating components.
(2) Buffering. For the occasions where the load is often started or the working load changes, the coupling shall be equipped with elastic elements that play the role of cushioning and vibration reduction to protect the prime mover and the working machine from little or no damage.
(3) Safe, reliable, with sufficient strength and service life.
(4) Simple structure, easy to assemble, disassemble and maintain.
How to select the appropriate coupling type
The following items should be considered when selecting the coupling type.
1. The size and nature of the required transmission torque, the requirements for buffering and damping functions, and whether resonance may occur.
2. The relative displacement of the axes of the 2 shafts is caused by manufacturing and assembly errors, shaft load and thermal expansion deformation, and relative movement between components.
3. Permissible overall dimensions and installation methods, and necessary operating space for assembly, adjustment and maintenance. For large couplings, they should be able to be disassembled without axial movement of the shaft.
In addition, the working environment, service life, lubrication, sealing, economy and other conditions should also be considered, and a suitable coupling type should be selected by referring to the characteristics of various couplings.
If you cannot determine the type, you can contact our professional engineer
Main production equipment:
Large lathe, surface grinder, milling machine, gear shaper, spline milling machine, horizontal broaching machine, gear hobbing machine, shaper, slotting machine, bench drilling machine, radial drilling machine, boring machine, band sawing machine, horizontal lathe, end milling machine, crankshaft grinder, CNC milling machine, casting equipment, etc.
Dynamic balance tester, high-speed intelligent carbon and sulfur analyzer, Blochon optical hardness tester, Leeb hardness tester, magnetic yoke flaw detector, special detection, modular fixture (self-made), etc.
Application – Photos from our partner customers
Our leading products are mechanical transmission basic parts – couplings, mainly including universal couplings, drum gear couplings, elastic couplings and other 3 categories of more than 30 series of varieties. It is widely used in metallurgical steel rolling, wind power, hydropower, mining, engineering machinery, petrochemical, lifting, paper making, rubber, rail transit, shipbuilding and marine engineering and other industries.
Our factory takes the basic parts of national standards as the benchmark, has more than 40 years of coupling production experience, takes “scientific management, pioneering and innovation, ensuring quality and customer satisfaction” as the quality policy, and aims to continuously provide users with satisfactory products and services. The production is guided by reasonable process, and the ISO9001:2015 quality management system standard is strictly implemented. We adhere to the principle of continuous improvement and innovation of coupling products. In recent years, it has successfully developed 10 national patent products such as SWF cross shaft universal coupling, among which the double cross shaft universal joint has won the national invention patent, SWF cross shaft universal coupling has won the new product award of China’s general mechanical parts coupling industry and the ZHangZhoug Province new product science and technology project.
Our factory has strong technical force, excellent process equipment, complete professional production equipment, perfect detection means, excellent after-sales service, various products and complete specifications. At the same time, we can provide the design and manufacturing of special non-standard products according to the needs of users. Our products sell well at home and abroad, and are trusted by the majority of users. We sincerely welcome friends from all walks of life at home and abroad to visit and negotiate for common development.p
Impact of Fluid Coupling on the Overall Reliability of a Power Transmission System
A fluid coupling can significantly contribute to the overall reliability of a power transmission system in various ways:
- Smooth Power Transmission: Fluid couplings facilitate smooth power transmission between the driving and driven components, minimizing shocks and vibrations during startup and operation. This reduces the risk of sudden failures or damages to connected equipment.
- Overload Protection: Fluid couplings offer inherent overload protection by allowing controlled slip during sudden load changes or overloads. This protects the system from excessive stresses and prevents damage to the motor and driven machinery.
- Reduced Mechanical Wear: The smooth operation of fluid couplings reduces mechanical wear on connected components, such as gearboxes, belts, and chains. This results in longer service life and decreased maintenance requirements.
- Increased Equipment Life: By reducing stress and wear on the entire power transmission system, fluid couplings can extend the service life of motors, gearboxes, and other components. This enhances the overall reliability of the system over an extended period.
- Enhanced System Safety: The ability of fluid couplings to protect against shock loads and overloads enhances the safety of personnel working with or near the machinery. It prevents sudden and unpredictable movements, reducing the risk of accidents and injuries.
- Stable Performance: Fluid couplings maintain a constant speed ratio between the driving and driven shafts, ensuring stable and predictable performance of the power transmission system. This predictability aids in maintaining process stability and efficiency.
Incorporating a properly sized and selected fluid coupling into a power transmission system can improve its reliability, reduce downtime, and prevent costly breakdowns. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the fluid coupling also play a crucial role in ensuring long-term reliability and trouble-free operation.
Fluid Coupling’s Handling of Load Changes during Operation
Fluid couplings are designed to efficiently handle changes in load conditions during operation, providing smooth and controlled power transmission. Here’s how fluid couplings accomplish this:
1. Torque Sensing: Fluid couplings are torque-sensitive devices. As the load on the driving side varies, the torque transmitted through the fluid coupling adjusts accordingly. When the load increases, the fluid coupling allows for some slip between the input and output sides, absorbing the excess torque. Conversely, when the load decreases, the fluid coupling reduces slip and transmits more torque, accommodating the new load conditions.
2. Load Distribution: In multi-drive systems, fluid couplings help to distribute the load evenly among connected equipment. When one machine experiences a higher load, the fluid coupling redistributes torque to prevent overloading of a specific component, ensuring a balanced power distribution.
3. Smooth Power Transmission: Fluid couplings offer a smooth and gradual transmission of power, even during load changes. Unlike mechanical clutches or direct couplings, fluid couplings provide a dampening effect, reducing shock loads and torsional vibrations when the load fluctuates. This minimizes stress on the connected machinery and enhances overall system reliability.
4. Soft Start and Stop: One of the significant advantages of fluid couplings is their ability to facilitate soft start and stop operations. During startup, the fluid coupling allows for controlled slip, gradually increasing the speed of the driven equipment. Similarly, during shutdown, the fluid coupling smoothly decelerates the connected machinery, preventing sudden stops that could cause damage or excessive wear.
5. Overload Protection: In situations where the load surpasses the rated capacity, the fluid coupling acts as an overload protector. By slipping and absorbing excess torque, it prevents damage to the connected equipment and the fluid coupling itself. This overload protection contributes to the safety and longevity of the entire system.
6. Automatic Adjustment: Fluid couplings automatically adjust to variations in load conditions without the need for manual intervention. This feature makes them suitable for applications with changing load demands, such as conveyors, crushers, pumps, and fans.
Overall, the ability of fluid couplings to handle changes in load conditions ensures stable and efficient power transmission while protecting the machinery from abrupt stress and wear. This makes fluid couplings an excellent choice for various industrial applications that require reliable and flexible power transfer.
Comparison: Fluid Coupling vs. Torque Converter
Fluid couplings and torque converters are both hydrodynamic devices used in automotive and industrial applications to transmit power between an engine and a driven load. While they share some similarities, they also have distinct differences:
- Function: The primary function of both fluid couplings and torque converters is to transmit rotational power from the engine to the transmission or driven load. They allow for smooth power transmission and provide a degree of isolation between the engine and the load.
- Construction: Both devices consist of an impeller, a turbine, and a housing filled with hydraulic fluid (usually oil). The impeller is connected to the engine’s crankshaft, the turbine to the transmission/input shaft, and the housing is shared between the two.
- Torque Transmission: In a fluid coupling, the power is transmitted purely through hydrodynamic principles. The impeller accelerates the fluid, which then drives the turbine. However, there is no torque multiplication, and the output speed is always slightly less than the input speed. On the other hand, a torque converter can provide torque multiplication due to its stator, which redirects the fluid flow and increases the torque transmitted to the turbine.
- Lock-up Clutch: Some torque converters have a lock-up clutch that can mechanically connect the impeller and the turbine at higher speeds. This effectively eliminates the slip between the two elements and increases overall efficiency, similar to the operation of a fluid coupling at higher speeds.
- Automotive Use: Torque converters are commonly used in automatic transmissions in vehicles, while fluid couplings were more prevalent in older manual transmissions. However, modern manual transmissions generally use clutch systems instead of fluid couplings.
- Efficiency: Fluid couplings are generally more efficient than torque converters, especially at higher speeds. Torque converters can experience efficiency losses due to fluid slippage and the operation of the stator.
- Applications: Fluid couplings find applications in various industrial machinery, such as conveyors, pumps, and crushers, where the priority is smooth power transmission and overload protection. Torque converters are primarily used in vehicles, offering the benefit of automatic gear shifting and torque multiplication during acceleration.
Overall, both fluid couplings and torque converters play essential roles in power transmission, but their specific design and application characteristics determine their suitability for different use cases.
editor by CX 2023-09-01