A fluid coupling consists of 2 parts: the turbine and the pump. There are also blades inside, which are placed at an angle. The pump is mounted on the drive shaft end, while the turbine is on the driven shaft. When fluid enters the pump, the drive shaft rotates under the action of centrifugal force. When you add a reactor, it becomes a torque converter. Its main uses are industrial and marine applications.
Fluid Coupling Specifications
Selection power table (KW)
Technical Data Sheet of Constant Filling Fluid Couplings YOX-Series
Main production equipment:
Large lathe, surface grinder, milling machine, gear shaper, spline milling machine, horizontal broaching machine, gear hobbing machine, shaper, slotting machine, bench drilling machine, radial drilling machine, boring machine, band sawing machine, horizontal lathe, end milling machine, crankshaft grinder, CNC milling machine, casting equipment, etc.
Dynamic balance tester, high-speed intelligent carbon and sulfur analyzer, Blochon optical hardness tester, Leeb hardness tester, magnetic yoke flaw detector, special detection, modular fixture (self-made), etc.
Application – Photos from our partner customers
Our leading products are mechanical transmission basic parts – couplings, mainly including universal couplings, drum gear couplings, elastic couplings and other 3 categories of more than 30 series of varieties. It is widely used in metallurgical steel rolling, wind power, hydropower, mining, engineering machinery, petrochemical, lifting, paper making, rubber, rail transit, shipbuilding and marine engineering and other industries.
Our factory takes the basic parts of national standards as the benchmark, has more than 40 years of coupling production experience, takes “scientific management, pioneering and innovation, ensuring quality and customer satisfaction” as the quality policy, and aims to continuously provide users with satisfactory products and services. The production is guided by reasonable process, and the ISO9001:2015 quality management system standard is strictly implemented. We adhere to the principle of continuous improvement and innovation of coupling products. In recent years, it has successfully developed 10 national patent products such as SWF cross shaft universal coupling, among which the double cross shaft universal joint has won the national invention patent, SWF cross shaft universal coupling has won the new product award of China’s general mechanical parts coupling industry and the ZHangZhoug Province new product science and technology project.
Our factory has strong technical force, excellent process equipment, complete professional production equipment, perfect detection means, excellent after-sales service, various products and complete specifications. At the same time, we can provide the design and manufacturing of special non-standard products according to the needs of users. Our products sell well at home and abroad, and are trusted by the majority of users. We sincerely welcome friends from all walks of life at home and abroad to visit and negotiate for common development.p
Handling Overloads and Stall Conditions in Fluid Couplings
A fluid coupling is designed to handle overloads and stall conditions in power transmission systems. When an overload or stall occurs, the fluid coupling utilizes its unique operating principle to protect the drivetrain and the connected machinery:
- Slip Feature: One of the key characteristics of a fluid coupling is its ability to slip at high torque loads. When an overload situation arises, the fluid coupling allows some relative motion between the input and output sides, known as slip. This slip absorbs the excess torque and prevents it from being transferred to the driven equipment, effectively protecting it from damage.
- Fluid Circulation: During normal operation, the fluid inside the coupling circulates smoothly between the impeller and turbine, transmitting torque with minimal losses. However, when an overload or stall condition occurs, the fluid circulation may become turbulent, generating heat in the process. This heat dissipation helps in absorbing and dissipating the excess energy, preventing the transmission system from experiencing sudden stress.
- Automatic Reconnection: After an overload or stall condition, once the excess torque is dissipated through slip and heat, the fluid coupling automatically reconnects the input and output sides, resuming the power transmission. This automatic reconnection ensures that the system returns to normal operation once the overload situation is resolved.
- Sturdy Construction: Fluid couplings are designed with robust and durable materials to withstand high torque and thermal stresses during overload conditions. The strong construction ensures that the fluid coupling remains reliable and operational even after multiple overload events.
Overall, a fluid coupling’s ability to handle overloads and stall conditions makes it a reliable and essential component in various industrial applications. By providing overload protection and slip characteristics, fluid couplings help prevent costly damage to equipment, increase operational safety, and contribute to the longevity of the entire power transmission system.
Fluid Couplings in Pumps and Compressors
Yes, fluid couplings can be effectively used in pumps and compressors to optimize their operation and improve overall efficiency. Here’s how fluid couplings are beneficial in these applications:
1. Smooth Starting: Fluid couplings provide a soft-start capability, which is particularly advantageous for pumps and compressors. During startup, the fluid coupling allows the pump or compressor to gradually reach the desired operating speed, reducing mechanical stress on the equipment and preventing sudden torque spikes.
2. Overload Protection: Pumps and compressors may experience sudden changes in load due to variations in fluid demand or system pressure. A fluid coupling acts as a torque limiter and protects the connected equipment from damage during such overload conditions. It slips and absorbs excess torque, preventing mechanical failures and downtime.
3. Torque Control: Fluid couplings enable precise control over the torque transmitted to the pump or compressor. This feature allows operators to adjust the output speed and torque to match the specific requirements of the application, ensuring optimal performance and energy efficiency.
4. Vibration Damping: The inherent damping properties of fluid couplings help in reducing vibrations in pump and compressor systems. This not only extends the life of the mechanical components but also enhances the reliability of the entire system.
5. Energy Efficiency: By eliminating the need for direct mechanical connections and providing smooth acceleration, fluid couplings contribute to energy savings in pumps and compressors. The reduction in shock loads and vibrations leads to lower energy consumption and improved overall efficiency.
6. Heat Dissipation: Continuous operations in pumps and compressors can generate heat, potentially affecting the equipment’s performance. Fluid couplings have the ability to absorb and dissipate heat, maintaining proper operating temperatures and ensuring consistent performance.
7. System Protection: In addition to overload protection, fluid couplings also protect pumps and compressors from torque fluctuations, which can occur during transient conditions. This protection prevents mechanical damage and enhances the longevity of the equipment.
Overall, fluid couplings offer several advantages in pump and compressor applications, including smooth starting, overload protection, torque control, vibration damping, energy efficiency, heat dissipation, and system protection. These benefits make fluid couplings a valuable component in optimizing the performance and reliability of pumps and compressors in various industrial settings.
Safety Considerations when Working with Fluid Couplings
Fluid couplings are essential components in various industrial applications, and it’s essential to follow safety guidelines when working with them. Here are some safety considerations:
- Lockout-Tagout (LOTO): Before performing any maintenance or repair work on a fluid coupling, ensure that the equipment is properly shut down and that the energy sources are locked out and tagged out. This prevents accidental startup and protects personnel from potential hazards.
- Fluid Containment: When draining or replacing the fluid in a fluid coupling, use appropriate containers to collect and contain the fluid. Avoid spills, as some coupling fluids may be hazardous.
- High Temperatures: Fluid couplings can reach high temperatures during operation. Allow sufficient cooling time before handling or inspecting the coupling to avoid burns or injuries.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Wear appropriate PPE, such as gloves and eye protection, when working with fluid couplings to protect against potential splashes or contact with hot surfaces.
- Manufacturer Recommendations: Follow the safety guidelines and instructions provided by the fluid coupling manufacturer for installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- Proper Tools: Use the correct tools and equipment for maintenance and assembly tasks to prevent damage to the fluid coupling and ensure safe working conditions.
- Training: Ensure that personnel working with fluid couplings are adequately trained in their proper use, maintenance, and safety procedures.
- Inspections: Regularly inspect the fluid coupling for any signs of wear, leaks, or abnormalities that could pose safety risks. Address any issues promptly.
- Hot Work: Avoid performing hot work (e.g., welding, cutting) in the vicinity of fluid couplings, as the high-temperature fluids and components may present a fire hazard.
- Consult Experts: If in doubt or facing complex issues with fluid couplings, consult qualified experts or the manufacturer for guidance.
Adhering to these safety considerations will help minimize risks and ensure a safe working environment when dealing with fluid couplings.
editor by CX 2023-10-12